Get Answers to Your Questions as an Admitted Student

After you’ve been admitted to NDSU as a graduate student, there are specific steps you need to take to get ready for your first semester. Below you’ll find answers to some of the most common questions we get from admitted students like you. 

If you have questions that aren’t answered below, email and reach out to our Admission Team.


After You're Admitted

How do I activate my email account and get my student ID card?

To set up your electronic services, such as your student email account, visit New Student Setup.

You can find information on how to obtain your student ID card on the NDSU Card Center web page.

Can I delay my enrollment to a future term?

Your admission is valid for one year. If you plan to delay enrollment, you must complete the Request to Delay Enrollment form. You can delay your enrollment only one time. After one year, you will have to re-apply to the Graduate School.

I’m an international student. Where do I submit financial documents and request an I-20?

Send all required financial documentation to the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services. I-20s cannot be requested until you have submitted all required financial documents and have accepted admission.

When is orientation and when do classes begin?

You are strongly encouraged to attend New Graduate Student Orientation, hosted by the Graduate School. This event typically occurs on the first day of the first week of classes.

Additionally, international students are required to attend New International Student Orientation, hosted by the Office of International Student and Study Abroad Services. This is typically a two-day event, held during the week prior to the first week of classes.

Information regarding orientation sessions will be sent to you via email prior to the start of the semester.

To find out when classes begin, check the Academic Calendar.

Can I transfer credits from another institution?

A program may allow you to transfer up to 10 credits to a master's program or up to 12 credits for a doctoral program. 

Doctoral coursework that is transferred does not reduce the total requirement of 60 NDSU credits for students with a master's degree in the same discipline. Your credits will not be transferred until your Plan of Study is submitted to and approved by the Graduate School.

Where can I get information about living on campus?

Visit NDSU Residence Life for information on campus housing.

What student services does NDSU offer to graduate students?

Learn more about the Graduate School. Get information on student support services, diversity and inclusion, and campus involvement.

What is Fargo like?

Learn about community resources or visit to get more info about the area, and see a community calendar of events.